June 1st, although not officially summer, is in my mind, which makes it time for summer reading!
- The Earth Hums in B Flat (novel) by Mari Strachan. This is out now. I just read it….See my review forthcoming in July in the summer issue of Contrary Magazine!
- The Last Supper: A Summer in Italy (memoir) by Rachel Cusk. This is out now and is on my shelf waiting to be read. It’s reviewed in the NYT book review below.
- The Angels Game (novel) by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This will be out on June 16th. I loved Shadow of the Wind. It’s reviewed in the WSJ book review below.
- That Old Cape Magic (novel) by Richard Russo. This will be out August 4th. I loved Bridge of Sighs. Also reviewed in the WSJ book review below.
- South of Broad (novel) by Pat Conroy. This will be out August 11th. I loved Prince of Tides and Beach Music. Also reviewed in the WSJ book review below.
- Pick a classic you haven’t read off the summer reading table at your local bookstore!
- The Wall Street Journal 5-20-09
- The New York Times Sunday Book Review 5-31-09
- My rising 10th grader’s Summer Reading List: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (plus one choice)
Please share any recommendations you have. Happy Summer and Happy Reading!
Any short story collections that you’ve already read that you’d recommend for summer reading? I have a toddler but I’m committed to trying to maintain a literary connection, so I’m hoping to read one story every night after he’s in bed. Any suggestions?
Great idea and great question. The long answer…today’s post.
June 15: O Magazine picks Hannah Tinti’s The Good Thief as one of the top 20 Beach reads for the summer! Here’s the link to the top 20: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsbookclub/readinglists/pkgsummerreading/200907-omag-beach-reads.
July 29: NPR: Audience Picks: 100 Best Beach Books Ever at http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=135442937106&h=fpwiq&u=pQTQT&ref=nf.